My name is Stephen Hiramoto and I am the owner/operator of North Texas Oboe Reeds. In addition to myself, four local professional oboists assist me, mostly in preparing cane. All of the Pro and Intermediate reeds are still made completely by hand, by me.
I started North Texas Oboe Reeds in 1997 as a way to supplement my teaching income (I had between 50 and 60 oboe students at that time, each of whom received a 30 minute lesson each week). In a couple of years I didn't have time to do anything else but run the business! I have built my reputation and business on customer satisfaction and repeat business -- I will gladly replace or provide a refund for any reed or cane product or any other product that I sell that does not meet your expectations. Of approximately 4000 reeds shipped in 2001, I received about 20 back, and most of those were due to damage that occurred during mailing.
Please allow me to share my educational and performance background:
- Bachelor of Science: University of Alabama; oboe professor: Rebecca Henderson.
- Master of Music: Louisiana State University; oboe professor: Mark Ostoich.
- Doctor of Musical Arts: University of North Texas; oboe professor: Charles Veazey.
- Irving Symphony Orchestra, principal oboe, 1992 - 2001.
- Plano Symphony Orchestra, second oboe, 1990 - present.
Below is a very old picture of me in a masterclass with John Mack.